Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Barista training

We attended a Basic Barista Training course last saturday to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday. It was run by I guy who is an espresso machine technician - who also roasts his own beans. Check him out here, his name is Jason and he is a champion.

Anyway, I learnt a lot. Like, the value of a really awesome grinder and what I had been doing wrong in texturing my milk. We got to work on some pretty awesome machines too!

I think Dad really enjoyed himself - he was chatting with Jason for ages. Hopefully I won't be designated barista next time i go around there!

Gotta get back on the ECM at home and practice, practice, practice!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave Miers said...

the question is: coffee flavoured poo or poo flavoured coffee?

4/04/2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger Guthers said...

I can safely say I have had a lot of poo flavoured coffee in my time...

I probably did a coffee flavoured poo on saturday afternoon!

4/04/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger SamR said...

Did you make that one Guthers? Nice.

4/04/2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger Guthers said...

ummm... sure!

4/04/2007 7:24 PM  
Blogger Andy M said...

Barista training! Wow, you really are serious about this whole coffe thing, aren't you Guthers? I'd love to do a course like that. But I don't have a coffee machine so not much point.

Hey, our church no longer just serves instant coffee! A coffee machine has appeared, but I'm afraid it's not an espresso machine, rather perculated coffee. Hhhhmmm... still a long way to go ....

4/13/2007 9:39 AM  
Blogger Guthers said...

you should definitely look into buying a coffee machine andy - it takes the appreciation (snobbery) to a whole new level!

if you're interested in a course - I went to a toby's estate coffee tasting course for my last bday that was pretty awesome. There is a post in here somewhere about that

4/13/2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I have a minis expresso machine - but not fancy like Sam's - where did you guys go for the training?

4/16/2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Guthers said...

It was a workshop in Balgowlah. It was run by a guy who is a espresso machine technichian...

Check him out - he is an absolute champ... Has his own roast too.

www.espressomachines.com.au

4/17/2007 11:04 AM  
Blogger Guthers said...

what kind of machine do you have nixter?

4/17/2007 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home