Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Most Disappointing Coffeee Ever

I’m having a very slow day – struggling to get motivated.

I thought a coffee might help. (Really, I just needed to get away from my desk)

I tried Frank’s* place downstairs on because he claimed to be a coffee purist (my words). He claimed to make a better coffee than his long established competitors. He even has his own blend – usually a mark of a reputable barista.

But I must say – most disappointing coffee ever. It tasted like the old grounds hadn’t been fully removed from the group handle and watching Frank* in action, he left the milk jug unattended whilst steaming! What was he thinking?!?!

Congratulations Frank* - you’ve just been blacklisted.

Why do Sydney-siders, supposedly discerning coffee drinkers, not demand a higher standard from their “new celebrity” baristas? I only know of a couple of places within a hefty walk of my office that I can trust to give me a good coffee. Given the demand for coffee and the recent improvements in barista-standards, this isn’t really good enough.

It could have something to do with the fact that the majority of coffee drinkers don’t care if their coffee tastes like poo. Many are just in it for the caffeine hit. Some have never had a good coffee and so don’t know what they’re missing. But c’mon Sydney! You’ve got taste! Demand more!

If anyone knows where I can get a decent brew in town – please let me know.

18 Comments:

Blogger Guthers said...

*not his real name

10/18/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger SamR said...

Mecca is a bit far for the daily?

10/18/2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Guthers said...

The daily is still in the kitchen at home.
I'm prepared to make the walk for Mecca on occasions... but it is a fair distance. It's one of the two im talking about.

10/18/2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Dave Miers said...

is there a McCafe around????

10/18/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Guthers said...

thanks guys
completely unhelpful

10/18/2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know this place called gloria jeans..

umm never been there. but everyone raves about it

10/19/2006 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing my other comment didn't work... Feel free to drop by the place where I get my fantastic coffee every morning - Modro's... There's an alright looking barista who makes a top coffee... ;)

10/19/2006 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you reckon about getting a commercial machine at church.. then getting people to pay $1 a coffee..
st pauls casto does it.. costs them like 20c a coffee..
make back the money in the first year.. then run it at a profit.

people from church run it on a roster..

10/19/2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Andy M said...

whereabouts in town do you work?

10/20/2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger Guthers said...

hey andy

I work in the PwC building on the corner of Sussex and Druitt St
Near Darling Harbour.

10/20/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Andy M said...

Sorry Guthers, can't help. I'm on the complete opposite side of town! Good luck finding a good coffee though. Agree with your sentiments exactly! Life's too short to waste it on bad coffee.

I love Hamish's espresso machine at church idea. I have to have a cup of tea on Sunday mornings as there's no way I'm going within 10 metres of instant blech!

10/20/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger Guthers said...

Thanks anyway andy...

Where do you work and where do you get your coffee??

That idea sounds tops hamish! I dunno if the church would go for it though... It could take a while to pay for itself... and who would man it every sunday?

10/22/2006 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh.. i also doubt wether our church would go for it.. but i know that the st pauls castle hill one, payed for itself within the first year.
and they run it using a roster, much the say way, say the music team runs at 7:15. there are plenty of capable hands.. that no one person would miss fellowship with others much..
you, tristan, jem, heidi - jane, i could give it a crack and im sure there are many more

10/25/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Guthers said...

Maybe you should run it by bruiser?
I'd be keen to run it once a month or so...
What about the other congregations?

10/25/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger SamR said...

There is an awesome barista in annandale, just on booth St, near the church. He's incredible. I love getting my morning coffees there...

10/27/2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

which place it that Sam?

10/30/2006 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sam. would this barista happen to be built like a chicken.. and quite hairy?

sorry i miised you on saturday night

10/30/2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger SamR said...

Well Mish, he's certainly built...

As for hairy - I prefer 'warm in winter'.

11/02/2006 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home